Monday, September 5, 2011

We are Off to A Great Start!

Greetings PAP English I students.  Thanks so much for making the first two weeks enjoyable.  I am really digging having Freshman in class once again.  It is also refreshing to have so many students "geared" into what we are discussing in class and their academic success.  It gives me great  hope for our future Redhawk leadership.

I though our Socratic Seminar over ASP was really insightful and compelling.  There were a lot of great comments and discussions surrounding the rich text.  I think we all learned a little about the struggles and pressures there comes with "coming of age" in high school a little better after reading and analyzing ASP.  I wish we had more time to devote to the novel, however, because we are starting the College Springboard Curriculum, like - right now, we must move on.

Speaking of the Springboard, we begin that year long curriculum this week with a Writing Workshop.  The concepts of Unit 1 is "Coming of Age" and "Voice."  We hope to have your textbooks to you this week, but if they don't come in we are going ahead with the schedule and simply (well not simply) make copies for all of you.  I will be putting all of the Springboard Unit activities on the resource page in case you need to refer to them at anytime.

I am in the process of finishing up grading your ASP exams.  I am about half way through those.  It will probably take me about a week to get test of that nature graded and back to you.  It takes a while to properly go through those type of test and I take frequent breaks in grading, so it doesn't all run together and I  keep a fresh prospective.  So be patient with me.  So far, I have been pleased with what I have seen.

I look forward to seeing each of you this week.  I am getting there with names/faces, so please continue to bear with me.  I'm not getting any younger and seemingly, learning 185 new names takes longer than it used to.  Don't get insulted - just chalk it up to Coach Miller getting old.  I will leave you with a riddle for your amusement:

There is a terrible wreck on the interstate and a father and his son both suffer life-threatening injuries as a result of the crash.  Because both of them will require life-saving emergency surgeries they are life-flighted to separate hospitals.  When the young son is wheeled into the operating room, the brain surgeon looks at him and responds, "I'm sorry, I can't operate on this patient - it is my son."  


How is this possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment